I Forge Iron

Most used Hammer?

a62rambler

Alec, thank you for posting that video! I have a question for you and / or Brian. Don't the off camber blows torque your wrist?

I had to watch with the audio off so I apologize if this was answered in the movie but it seems like there were times that the right side of the hammer was striking the right side of the stock when the leaf was being drawn out. It would seem like the force of the blow would serve to push the stock into the center as opposed to moving it out to the edges.

• 2 months later...

I know this an older topic, but thought I'd throw in my two cents. For big stuff with a helper I use a 24 lb long handled cross pein, or a 12 lb long handled sledge. Big work by myself, I use an 8 lb or 6 lb hand hammer. The 6 lb is one of my most used hammers on bigger projects, then I step down to a 4 lb or 2.5 lb cross pein. Of course, with about 100 different hammers to choose from, there is always one for every job, but those are my most used.

• 1 year later...

Just a few words from an "advanced newbie" to the "beginner newbies" out there. When I first started forging, it seems like I bought a new hammer every other week. Some of them were pretty expensive too. Now most of them fall out on my foot when I open my tool cabinet. I do mostly blade smithing work with an occasional project here and there. My favorite hammer to have in my hand is a 24 oz ball pen that I dressed with nice round edges. I find that I can control it very well. If I need something bigger, I use a 2-12 pound Swedish style that I also dressed the way I like it. I took the long way around to say this. Read what these guys have to say. Choose one or two good quality basic hammers (not too heavy), and then spend some quality time learning how each one moves the metal. Spend the money you save on a good, basic class or a couple of good general forging videos. Whew! That was a mouthful.