I Forge Iron

Damascus woodsman's knife

antigoth24

Here's what I've been working on this week...the blade is 5160 and 1080, with antler handle wrapped with deer skin and artificial sinew and what I believe is a small alligator tooth tongue.gifThe blade is 4.25 inches long and over all length on about 9 inches. This was my second pattern welded blade and the first I have actually had as a finished knife. All comments, criticisms, and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

post-8703-0-27363300-1329485209_thumb.jp

post-8703-0-83154700-1329485216_thumb.jp

That is a really good looking blade... nice piece of antler too.

Now, if you really want critique, I'll offer this: It looks like you were on the way to a top-notch knife until the very end and then you rushed it. A nice bolster area treatment would have really put this one over the top. Pewter would look great, but simply rounding the antler and having a neat pin job would be good.

I must confess, when I first started down the path of "making my own", I used artificial sinew on everything, but now I hate it. It is strong, but the best it will ever look is "artificial". Plus, I'm not a big fan of hiding good handle material under hide and leather and such. But that's one man's opinion; there might be a thousand others who love that wrap-handle treatment.

All that said, it's still a fine looking piece. Great job on the pattern weld. And kudos on getting a good weld with 5160... I've heard it can be tough.

Don, thank you very much for the critique...I've wanted to get a hold of actual sinew for a while now but have gotten around to it...I agree about the look of the artificial sinew though. I was actually considering a brass bolster but I decided that I wanted to have a much more primitive look but the antler is thin enough that it doesn't impede the grip. But I did have to rush it... :blink: because I'm heading away for the next week and needed it to be done for a survival camp "thingy" I'm helping with the day after I get back...if only there were more time!

Nice pattern. What did you etch with? I thought 5160 and 1080 wouldn't show a good contrast, but I guess I read it wrong. I will have to try. I have some 5160 and 1085. Maybe this weekend if the weather holds I can fire up the dragon and see if I can weld them also. I have been just trying to make knives out of 1 steel hoping to get better before I do patterns, but want to do pattern welding for sure. Just afraid I will get a good pattern then screw it up trying to make the knife. LOL
Great looking blade.

RD

Dave, I used ferric chloride in a concentration of about 1 to 5...the 5160 etches a lot darker and faster then W1 I found out but I let it soak for about 20 minutes and after I cleaned all the sludge off I took 3000 grit sandpaper and then rubbed both sides down and this was the result.