I Forge Iron

venturi forge pressure problem

ChrisWard

I have started building a venturi forge and am unable to get enough pressure. I have seen that others have 2 1/2 PSi to their system. I have a brand new propane tank, pressure regulator. I come out of the tank into a new regulator down to a 3/8 inch ball valve into a 3/8 "T" with a 15 PSI gauge then into my venturi tube. I am not getting any reading on my gauge, but get a little gas out the venturi. I tested the gauge and it works, I can blow into it and read about 2 psi. Is there a special regulator I need to buy, I have tried 2 different tanks and 2 different regs with the same results. any help would be appriciated.

If you got a regulator for a bbq you need one that is for a forge and has a pressure adjustment and a guage on it. If that is wot you have then you need to check the size of the outlet orifice. If it is too large you will not be able to see pressure on a guage. If that orifice is too small the pressure would be high even with a low flow volume.

I got it working, I had a high pressure reg at the house, just had to buy the adapter for the tank, I am now able to hit up to 15 psi. Ran it at 2.5 psi while I adjusted to venturi. I need to insulate the forge now and will be up and running. How much morter do I need to buy for a forge made out of a propane tank forge. I am going to have 2 inches of kaowool to make the inside area a little smaller?

I got one of those deep fryer hoses and regulators. Problem with it is no gauge. Right now I use a venturi style burner and I get good forging temps butnot welding temps. For now it is adequate to learn basic skills, but I will need to make a better burner soon.