I Forge Iron

Spring swage metal choice

GNJC

Hello all,

I am considering producing some spring swages with interchangeable heads, not one-offs, so casting rather than machining is preferred.

The swages I have seen (commercial ones) have been cast, but I’m not certain of the metal used. I have made / machined a couple of similar one-off things in tool steel, these work well.

Following my experiences with swage blocks, SG iron seems like an obvious choice since it is very strong and casts well. But, is it appropriate? Can only tool steel be used for these?

I've done a web search (on here too) but to no avail in answering this specific question.

Thanks for advice offered.

G.

I think you may be mistaken about spring swage heads being cast. The only massproduced spring swages I have seen were the ones made by Grant Sarver. He forged them in closed dies. A closed die forging can look a lot like a casting. I am sure they could be cast in steel but a sping swage takes a lot of punishment in use. You may not have as long of a life with a cast tool even when good steel is used.

Thanks Timothy, the reason for my thinking they were cast was the presence of what looked like a seam or the remains of casting flash. I'll do a trial - well, myself and a friend will give a block of SG a lot of hammering - to see of it is up to the job. I have a strong feeling you re right, but if I don't ask / do a test, I shan't know.