I Forge Iron

Date this Arm and Hammer

My dad found this anvil for me a month ago in Ohio. By luck I got it delivered to Montana for free. I cleaned it up and it's an Arm and Hammer. I know only what I was able to Google about it. Any help would be great. If someone with a book could date it for me that would be super. The numbers on the foot are; 48041 and 262. It feels every bit of 262 lbs. Also there was a plate riveted onto the side. Any idea what it said? I know that sometimes it was the tag of the distributor. Here are a few pictures.post-23649-0-19660100-1325898197_thumb.jpost-23649-0-82415300-1325898229_thumb.jpost-23649-0-41979200-1325898261_thumb.j

It's very attractive but it's not really my style, so I won`t date it :P .

Sorry, just a little corny humor in memory of Mr. Sarver. The serial number 48041 is from the 1941-1944 range according to Anvils in America.

I would imagine that the plate that was riveted to the side was something along the lines of an asset tag for the business that it belonged to in the past.

I don't hear much about Arm and Hammers. But I love it. It didn't look as nice when I got it. My dad didn't know what he was looking at so he went to look at it and took a few pictures for me. The next day I sent him back with the 250 bucks the guy wanted. Worth every penny to me. I cleaned the old blue paint off and rubbed a bit of oil on it. Here is what it did looked like when I got it.post-23649-0-41427900-1325952037_thumb.j

At less than a buck a pound you got a great deal, I have an 84 lb Arm & Hammer that I will sell for $300.00 that is $3.57 / lb
Mr Postman states,"From my perspective today the Arm and Hammer anvil was undoubtedly one of the finest wrought anvils ever manufactured anywhere." (Page 257 Anvils in America)
I think you anvil is 1941 and they did not produce any between 1942 1943. After 1940 they were arc welded as yours at the waist