I Forge Iron

Canedy Otto No. 1

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any information about what I understand to be the Canedy Otto No. 1 post drill as seen in the picture below. I was considering purchasing it, but it looked like some parts were missing, so I'm trying to figure out how much work it would be to restore it to working condition.... I've found several Canedy Ottos online (esp. at www.owwm.com), but none like this one.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3096&cat=500

Anyone have any old catalogs or reprints with pictures of this type of post drill? If so, where can I order them? Thanks much.

Best,
Nathan (or Gobann, or Nate, or "Hey you!")

The hand crank handle is missing obviously. Also, most of these type drills have a large cast flywheel. Hard to tell from your picture if yours had one originally. Would probably have been mounted on the side opposite the crank handle.

I agree with BT. There was almost definitely a big flywheel on there. There is also a cam follower that rides on an eccentric to advance the auto feed. Can't tell from your pic if it is there or not but these are one of the most easily broken pieces on there and often are. I don't know what part of the country you are from but here in the heartland or any rural area that drill wouldnt be worth much. They still turn up often enough at auctions around here and if you go to any sizable gathering of blacksmiths you should find a complete one at a reasonable price there.

It wasn't just blacksmiths that had post drills (or post vises or hand grinders and pedal grindstones). Many farmers and city folks had these also so there are still a lot of them around.

I'd pass. Anymore I'd probably pass on it even if it was free.

It wasn't just blacksmiths that had post drills (or post vises or hand grinders and pedal grindstones). Many farmers and city folks had these also so there are still a lot of them around.

Yeah, these turn up at farm auctions all the time around here and usually sell for very little ($15 - 30 range, occassionally one will go for $50).