I Forge Iron

how to stop scale

Fluxes can be useful. Many knife makers use a flux specifically designed to minimize scale. i don't know the name of it but there are people here who use it and can tell you. I hear that it is extremely effective. ANY flux can help somewhat. You get into a decision dilemma with cost and time where there is not sufficient reward when dealing with mild steels but for expensive alloys for which a refined finish is desired there may be sufficient reward to make the use of the flux profitable.

Scale is a fact of heated steel above a certain temp in a normal atmosphere. We knew that but there are ways of minimizing or eliminating it. But you did say no inert gas, and I would guess you are not working with wrought iron. Flux may indeed work but not haveing any working knowledge of induction processes I am not sure what if any effect flux would have if it gets on the coils. Two ways I do know that work for me in a gasser and in coal fires. Minimize the times it is heated. I had to learn to obtasin heat management and forging skills to do this. And a butcher block brush is my friend. I brush hard and often. And brush scale from the anvil each time I have steel back in for heat. If you leave scale on anvil it will leave dents in work. At times I can tap the piece on the anvil horn just as I pull from fire to remove a little bit of scale.

I have used boric acid as an anti-scale for heat treating. It does a good job of protecting the steel from oxidation up to about 1600 F. Beyond that it reverses course and starts to attack the steel fairly aggressively. It's probably not what you want for your purpose, since you'll want to heat well beyond 1600 for any heavy forging. Just thought I'd throw it out there. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than that Firescoff stuff!