I Forge Iron

Hit and miss Beaudry

I have a #4 Beaudry which has lately developed a tap/miss, where the ram hits then misses then hits then misses, etc. This is only noticeable when working on thinner stock because die work or slapper tooling has enough height that it's not noticeable. I have tightened and/or adjusted every area that can be moved but the action stays just the same. If it was extremely predictable, I could leave the work in place for the next hit but of course this practice is wasteful of heat and sometimes the hammer will hit twice in a row - we all know what that means... Anyone have an idea where to start? The only thing I have not done is remove the arms and roller bearings. They are well oiled and rotate just fine so I don't think that's the problem but maybe one or both rollers are getting out of round - I am scratching my head at the moment so suggestions are appreciated...thx, Hollis

Does the top of the ram exhibit the same behavior at the top of its stroke?

I imagine if there was something going on with the V guides it could cause enough friction to slow the ram enough on the down stroke to not allow it to reach full bottom before it started on the upstroke.

If the spring arms were staring to take a permanent set I imagine it could cause some issues with the cylcling to.

I wonder if a strobe/timing light or taking some video and watching it in slow motion would help show whats happening?

I figured it out after supper (food always helps, eh?). I pulled the arms and rollers then washed the old grease and oil off everything. Turns out one roller was sticking so I think that was dragging and causing the delay. I regreased and oiled everything then put it all back together. No more "whiz-bang"...just that nice thump, thump, thump.

Hollis, I see you fixed the problem, I had the same thing happen to me awhile back when the left roller in in mine hung up on my oil can cap it lodged in between the roller and the spring I had filled the crank bearing oiler and set the cap on the ram guide and knocked it off in to the ram, damnest things happen some times it was brass and lodged in there tight enough I had to pull the spring and knock the roller out with a brass mallet(I don't mess with oil can caps anymore.) glad you got it fixed.
Willey

Alldays and onions pneumatic hammers are really annoying with this, unfortunately I do not know of any way to stop them from doing it. I have often wondered if they did it from new, or is a wear thing. Only happens when runnning light blows.

Phil

Well, something additional that I noticed for future reference is that the oval inside of the ram has a track worn into it from years of use - and that path is no longer nice and continuous so there are peaks and valleys. That cannot be conducive to smooth operation but it would be a big pain to get in there and fix the damage. I believe Beaudry cast the ram to finished internal shape then installed the rollers and springs with no additional machining. The rollers eventually find center since the ram is running in guides.

Hollis, if that track in the ram gets deep enough it will ride on the edge of the roller that sets in the spring arm preventing it to roll at the deepest part of the track causing it to choke the throw slightly causing it to double hit the fix is to either biuld it back up and smooth it out or depending on how much meat you have left in the ram you can grind the shoulder of the track off so the roller doesn't hit it, as you said earlier the rams were cast as is and may have been slightly thicker on one side, if thats the case the track will be alot deeper on on side then you can simply take it down level tapering it back and it should fix it, if it wore in even on both sides of the track you will need to build it back up and smooth it back out with a die grinder or a small rotary tool of some kind so you can get inside the ram ,if I remember right you said you had to fix the ram once before, the rams with the oval hole in the front are alot harder to get into than the ones with the round holes , if you fix it know you'll never have to touch it again in your lifetime if you don't it will just keep gettin worse till you break something (probably the the spring arm or the pitmam) If I were you I think I would try to fix it I think it would save you in the long run. thats just my 2 cents worth take it as you will. Willey

Kevin,

You are right - I need to tear it down over the holidays and do it properly but that ram is no fun to pull by hand (I'm going to hurt myself one of these days). The undercut is quite deep - about 1/4" in the center but buildup welding would be a real PITA. I think the best thing would be to curve two pieces of steel and lay in one on each side. If I can make something approaching the old contour, the hammer should run much smoother. Even mild steel will probably outlast me but I sure don't want to do it twice... :blink:

How's your #4 coming along? Did you get my email?