I Forge Iron

My 1st hawk

The only thing that is strikingly Bad about this is the Photo! :)
(It's the bane of many a museum photos-no top view,so important for the aspiring maker).
And,maybe,the lack of any pertinent info,such as:What was Your impression of the process?How did the slitting,drifting,other things of import,go for you?Did you weld in a steel edge?
All this is what a body would tend to be guessing at(at least this here body :ph34r::) ).

LOOKS properly shaped,but it has been ground all over,so it makes it hard to tell.The edge is shaped in a pleasing manner,but is not overly wide.
I guess my main question is(though you say that you're happy with it),Did everything go ok for you on this,have you aimed at this exact result,or had to make the best of what you Could do with it?
Again,Looks good,but the maker,actually handling,hefting the piece,would know so much more! :)

Started by drilling then heating and punching the drift hole. Drifted (my messup and what I don't like) both top and bottom. Inadvertently flipped the top and bottom when heating and didn't notice was just happy to be banging on metal and OOOOPs. Once realized tried to fix but still not tight enough. May try and tighten again later when my forge is finished. I used a grinding wheel for the hammer end and a belt sander for the finishing/shaping. I like that part. It has good balance I think. I can stick it so I assume thats good. I am a newb once again. I have only thrown an axe 4 times before I made this. Next one I will get better pics and ones of each stage to better show the process. I may even see if I can weld a good edge piece in. I may use this one as the ginny pig just to see if I can make it work.
So I would say it went well but not perfect and I have to make due with what I ended up with verses being totally satisfied with the outcome. That is a good question in itself. When someone experienced makes something are you satisfied with your work totally or do you always think I coulda or shoulda maybe done this or that instead? I am going to post that to get answers from all.

Started by drilling then heating and punching the drift hole. Drifted (my messup and what I don't like) both top and bottom. Inadvertently flipped the top and bottom when heating and didn't notice was just happy to be banging on metal and OOOOPs. Once realized tried to fix but still not tight enough. May try and tighten again later when my forge is finished...."

Great,that's exactly how we all learn.Sounds like you had enough of control over the process,which is fantastic!

".... I used a grinding wheel for the hammer end and a belt sander for the finishing/shaping. I like that part. It has good balance I think. I can stick it so I assume thats good. I am a newb once again. I have only thrown an axe 4 times before I made this. Next one I will get better pics and ones of each stage to better show the process. I may even see if I can weld a good edge piece in. I may use this one as the ginny pig just to see if I can make it work. ..."

This part sound cool,too:You're wise enough to go to the stock removal when in doubt about your forging ability.
Very happy to hear that your PURPOSE was achieved,RIGHT ON!!!

"....So I would say it went well but not perfect and I have to make due with what I ended up with verses being totally satisfied with the outcome. That is a good question in itself. When someone experienced makes something are you satisfied with your work totally or do you always think I coulda or shoulda maybe done this or that instead? I am going to post that to get answers from all.
...."

That's a VERY good question.I'd say,for myself,that i'm NEVER satisfied with what's been achieved.That's simply not my job;the person who'll be using the product that i make will do that.
Satisfaction is Finite,it is the End of something.Every "finished"(?)piece is the opposite:It's the Beginning(and usually several)!
It's the Dynamic nature of creating,versus the Static nature of reaching the goal,and hanging up your spurs.
BUT,if the old brain gets all twitchy on me,then i say,sometimes,ok,ok,you whiny-ass brain,you DID do ok,good boy,i'll take you to the store and get you a jug of wiskey to show you that you're loved!
But,only the best bottle of $50 or so Single Malt,for the whiskey makers are even the better craftsmen than you'll ever be,and we need to support only the very best ones,no scabs,with their cheap,adulterated stuff,we wouldn't want that in ironwork,would we?
So,we'll help keep all the crafts honest! B):)

Good job,once again,man!Keep on hammering!