I Forge Iron

Welding problem

arcc

I've did a good bit of faggot welding today. I am trying to really hone in on the best way to do it. However, I have a problem, I cannot for the life of me get the tiny seams to disappear completely. The welds are very strong. I just sheared two welds I made, and actually broke the stock before I broke the weld.(in a vice, beating on one end with a hammer.)

I know the problem has to be in my technique somewhere. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. I guess the very small seams don't matter in the long run very much, but they are really a pain in my backside.

I use a fagot weld to double the mass on the end of 5/16" square stock when making eating spoons. I was having the same problem until I started bringing it back to weld temp and laying it on its side and hammering there. Now, I can do it all in one heat. No seams left on them, now. I guess it just took a lot of practice, for me. Hope that helps. :)

I use a fagot weld to double the mass on the end of 5/16" square stock when making eating spoons. I was having the same problem until I started bringing it back to weld temp and laying it on its side and hammering there. Now, I can do it all in one heat. No seams left on them, now. I guess it just took a lot of practice, for me. Hope that helps. :)

Thank you, I'll try that. Just an annoying type deal. Like I said, I know I could get by, but the perfectionist in me wants to do it correctly. BTW, I'm welding 1/4 inch square stock.

• 4 weeks later...