I Forge Iron

Another soul for the collective

JimCrawford

Jim welcome!

The Blacksmith Guild of Virginia is having a demo in March in Amelia VA where Bob Rowe and Carl Hirner from Historic Williamsburg will be forging a wrought iron tomahawk with steel insert, plus a few other items as well. That may be a demo you would want to see being interested in knifemaking. You are always welcome at any of our events!

Welcome to the forum!
Peyton

Jim,
you have come to the right place to find support in your quest for information about fabricating knives.
Welcome to the forum!
From what you said, no doubt you have had some experence and have done your homework about making knives.
The advantage of being active on this forum is that it allows you to get a lot of experenced opinions about what course of action you may take when you need direct advice.
For starters, I suggest you visit the chat room. A lot of world class knife makers/ blacksmiths visit often. As I listen to them, you will find me taking notes. I have become more interested in making knives just from listening to them.
Primtechsmith's offer for you to attend the Guild Of Virginia's demo sounds like a good move also. I hope you have fun and enjoy your adventure.
Be safe!
Ted

Peyton,
Thanks for the invitation! I'm definitely going to keep track of your events as I progress down this new road that I'm on.

Ted,
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I'll probably do precisely what you suggest as I get closer to dealing with the two blades that I have annealing in the shop right now. I'd hate to waste good W-2 and 1095.

-Jim

Jim.
Just so you know: our membership is free. You can join up on the website: Blacksmith Guild of Viriginia - Home and click on "membership". I try and send out emails on updates and reminders on things going on with our guild and all over to try and help our members have every opportunity they can possibly get!

Look forward to meeting you Jim!
Peyton