I Forge Iron

Afternoon at the mini forge

garage sale a dog*s walk away on Sunday (thanks Yardsaletreasuremap.com) yielded 2 full cans of MAPP gas (the pre 2008 stuff) for a buck, and with the wife and kid back to school shopping, I got to fire up the mini gas forge and pound hot metal for a couple of hours.

With the forge on the metal cart on one side of the anvil and me on the other, spent a good 3+ hours hammering away. Here*s where I ran into the 4 inch wide problem, attempting a corkscrew handle just a bit wider than the forge.

and the results of the afternoon, couple of ugly nails. I*m sure the fourth one would have looked nice, they spotlight the non symetrical nature of my nail header, have to work on that.

Dragonfly necked down between the head and the wings, modified the guillotine fuller tool with a hard steel pin instead of a nail for a pivot. Now it necks down the metal instead of cutting the pivot nail. Still need to spread and split the wings, another narrow forge problem.

Bottle opener (another one) came out a bit rough on the hook end, but at least it fit in the forge!

Michael-frightening the neighbors since the year Four.

post-182-0-73009700-1314647171_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-74326300-1314647191_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-78405600-1314647272_thumb.jpg