I Forge Iron

Anyone Used Washington State Central Fuel Coal?

I am wanting to find someone who has actually used or uses the "blacksmith" coal from the Utah mines that is sold by Central Fuel in Chehalis, Washington. Did it coke up at all? Did it produce sufficient heat? Clinkers? The good the bad and the ugly please. For years I have contiplated heading up and picking some up but it is quite a ways and would like to know more before making the drive. Thanks.
Chris.

I haven't bought coal since about '05 so my info is outta date but I know we used it on occasion at Ft Vancouver a number of years ago and it was hit and miss on quality. I would also buy a few bags when buddies were picking some up for themselves and It didn't seem any better or worse than any other source. . . A good burning batch one time that coked nicely with fine ash then a crummy batch that choked up and made lots of clinker . . . sorry I can't give you a more conclusive answer but I've found no matter where I bought coal from, it always seemed inconsistent.

Thanks guys. Neil, I emailed your friend that used to live in Washington and makes tongs for a living...Glen maybe? Anyway, I am waiting to hear back from him. He may have good info on the coal like you have mentioned in the past (way past). :D