I Forge Iron

130lb Fisher - date of manufacture?

I just bought this 130 lb Fisher anvil - was amazed at the condition when I saw it. Can anyone help me determine when it was made? No date markings that I can see, only the '130' on one front foot and the numbers '071' on the rear center. It was painted some time ago, not sure when. Yikes - pics make it look pink rather than the cherry red it actually is.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
post-9290-0-38291100-1310497704_thumb.jp
post-9290-0-26109100-1310497677_thumb.jp

I just bought this 130 lb Fisher anvil - was amazed at the condition when I saw it. Can anyone help me determine when it was made? No date markings that I can see, only the '130' on one front foot and the numbers '071' on the rear center. It was painted some time ago, not sure when. Yikes - pics make it look pink rather than the cherry red it actually is.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Chris, you have found a beautiful anvil. Aside from the aftermarket paint, you anvil is in almost new condition. Use it properly, and it should last a few hundreds years of hammering.

Your anvil was probably made in 1971, during the Crossley years of making Fisher anvils. Crossley did not date them with an easy year date after 1962. They used a 0 or a letter in front of the year. I have not figured out why yet. For more Fisher anvil info, check out my previous posts on FISHER anvils.

Thanks Anvilman - I found a post earlier, might have been on anvilfire, featuring a mystery anvil that the owner had acquired as an 'Army anvil' . . . it was identified as a Fisher from the same era, and I thought it sure looked familiar. Those 2 lug holes are one of the specific features of Fisher's from 62-79, is that correct?

On another note, I just measured the bounce height with a 7/8" ball bearing. I measure about 90%, so I'm a happy feller (dropped from ~40cm, bounces ranged from 36 - 38cm). Enjoy the sideways video.

Chris

IMG_0141.MOV

Chris

A bit of Fisher history of the mounting lugs:

Fisher first added the mounting lugs to their anvils in 1892. They were on anvils from 100 to 350 lbs only. Anvils smaller that 100 or 400+ did not ever have them. The lugs matched up to cast iron stands that Fisher also produced. The stands were in various sizes to match the anvils. Crossley also made stands, but they did not have the "Fisher & Norris, Trenton, NJ" on them.

Some custom anvils had lugs in different places. Also, a few anvils made late in Crossley production era had the mounting lugs moved closer to the corners of the base.