I Forge Iron

step pulleys

I've been looking at step pulleys online, in connection with the belt grinder build I mentioned in another recent thread. All the step pulleys I'm finding are die cast zinc rated for fractional horsepower motors. I want to be able to run a 2 HP motor. Machined and balanced steel or cast iron is supposed to be far superior to cheap die cast zinc (and I believe it), but I haven't been able to find any machined and balanced step pulleys online, even at places that specialize in power transmission stuff. (Of course someone will come up with a link to prove me wrong, but I swear I've looked!)

Variable pitch pulleys would be an option, but they don't give as much adjustability as I'd like. So, two questions:

(1) Is this worth worrying about?

(2) Does anyone here know a source for machined and balanced step pulleys?

If need be, I can use higher quality single diameter pulleys and take a hit on speed adjustment. But I'd rather not.

The following link has cast iron step pulleys up to 1.25 inch shaft size. You might talk with the manufacturer about how balanced they are (and the max RPM recommended).

http://www.electricmotorsite.com/c/pul_step_a/A+Belt+Step+Pulleys.html

Hey Matt. Try this link. http://www.rittercnc...eys-370771-.htm
Google is our friend.:)

Geez! That takes me right back to Rob Frink (Beaumont Metal Works), which is embarrassing because I'm already planning to buy some parts from him! Dang. I knew somebody was going to make me feel dumb, but not this dumb.

Dave, thanks for that link. Those are a few dollars cheaper than the ones Rob is selling, and I'm pretty sure it's the same pulley.