I Forge Iron

Finally finished my hammer

Sam Falzone

Well I finally finished the hammer I helped make at Touchstone last summer.

Shaped a 10” ash handle today and hafted it with a wooden wedge.

It’s 2 lbs of water hardened jackhammer bit steel (S6 I think) and feels great – like an extension of my own hand.

This is going to me my main hammer for demos.

Sam

post-4558-0-03620200-1308961278_thumb.jp

Very nice. If I might offer a suggestion (which I'm sure you've already thought of), you might consider having a more tapered handle with knobs below the head, in the middle and at the end. This, in my personal opinion, makes it less likely that the hammer will slide around in, or out of, your hand. Of course, its easy for me to say, I get my father to make mine for me. :-)

Very nice. If I might offer a suggestion (which I'm sure you've already thought of), you might consider having a more tapered handle with knobs below the head, in the middle and at the end. This, in my personal opinion, makes it less likely that the hammer will slide around in, or out of, your hand. Of course, its easy for me to say, I get my father to make mine for me. :-)

Actually the handle is more tapered than the angle of the picture shows. All faces taper towards the eye of the hammerhead, so that head is actually driven down as far as it will go on that handle. I then used an ash wedge to lock the head in place.
I've used the contoured handles you're describing - all my bought hammers come with them, but I find I actually prefer the 10" single taper handle style - like the one I made. It just feels better to me. I think I'm going to make new handles for ALL my hammers now.
Sam

Sam,
Yours looks "Mastercrafted" :D

I appreciate all the complements, but truth be told, most of the work was done by my instructor at Touchstone - Glenn Horr, He was a fabulous teacher. I assisted in the forging and it was great fun. I came away with a much better understanding of the technique to hammer-making. I look forward to trying it solo one day soon.
Thanks again everyone.
Sam