I Forge Iron

Forge design

I just got this grill to use a forge. now i have a couple of ideas, where the square hole on the right side is, i may want to take some thick pipe and lay it on the bottom along part or most of the length of the grill/forge. then drill holes in the pipe with increasing size away from the blower in the pipe so air is evenly distributed. or i may want to enlarge a small hole on the side farthest (left) from the large square hole (that connects to the fire box i will probably not use here) and after enlarging the hole i may cut one of the grates so i can use the smoke stack as a type of ash dump after i cut it to fit. or i may do both, except put a divier in the middle so i have a firepot type design with a side type blower/pipe design i just described on each half.

now i don't have access to welding, but i can cut any metal and i can drill and bolt.
I have also attached some images of the other parts i have. i will probably be lining it with fire brick to increase heat retention.
thanks for any ideas!

post-20010-0-18380400-1306682791_thumb.j

post-20010-0-57060900-1306682813_thumb.j

post-20010-0-97353800-1306682838_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

My first forge was a grill and so is my second I used a piece of 3/4" pipe with a 90 put the pipe in attached to a brick taped over the opening and filled in the grill with concrete level to the 90. I used it for 15 years. the sweet spot of the fire was the size of a large orange. I still have it. had a little sprawling of the concrete over the years but free pipe, free grill and $2.50 of concrete how can your go wrong. I made my own bellows. What type of air supply are you planning to use that will determine the size pipe you use? I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

Sorry for the lack of haste in my reply, but I have been offline. My air supply is an old blower that I have from an inflatable slide. I have put some fire brick in the bottom and built a makeshift firepot kind of design. I will put pictures up tomorrow, but I am still looking for a way to make it more efficient