I Forge Iron

First anvil and some questions

I'm new to blacksmithing but decided I wanted to jump right in. I've tried it a few times at a boyscout camp when I was younger and always wanted to do more of it. I ended up buying an anvil off of craigslist for 75$. It is 100#, but I don't know who makes it. One side has the 100, the other side has 45Kg with England written underneath it. I also don't know what the little marks on the top are. Maybe where someone set a welder down on it? Any help would be appreciated.

post-21339-0-66818600-1306465010_thumb.j

post-21339-0-68474100-1306465162_thumb.j

post-21339-0-73234100-1306465232_thumb.j

post-21339-0-62383500-1306465326_thumb.j

If I were to guess I would say it is a Brooks (name later changed to Vaughans). They are high quality cast steel anvils.

I have a 280 pound Brooks and it has very similar lines to yours.

Congrats! That's a pretty sweet first anvil.

Edit: I just checked Vaughans site and to buy a 100 pound anvil new from them is around $650 plus shipping from England.

http://anvils.co.uk/products/view/56?cat=12

It is a cast steel Vaughan/Brooks, and should be a fine user. You got a deal! New, they go for 400 British pounds, about US $650 today.

http://anvils.co.uk/catalogue/

Edited: fat fingers type too slow, looking up currency exchange. <_<

Anyway, what he said!

I would bet that some one set a plate on the anvil and welded on top of it, and that the marks are from the arc jumping from the anvil to the plate they work working on.

If it was mine I would take belt sander and vary lightly sand the anvil face, I would use a fine grit and just LIGHTLY sand the face, you don;t really need to sand much at all, just a little bit to take off any of the high spots that may have been formed from the little arc jump spots. I would not expect the stops to be removed because they are pitted a little and you would have to remove allot of material to erase them (Not a good thing to do), I would just sand to make sure any little arc jump bits are not standing proud.

should be a fine anvil