I Forge Iron

Holiday forging..

Reveling in that infrequent joy, a day where my office closes but school is still open, I did a little forging over the holiday weekend.

These heart hooks have been on my project list for a while, but I had to get my forge welding technique down before I could make them work. The welds are serviceable, but far from perfect.

Got out to the smithy (patio) after a leisurely breakfast, lit the charcoal in the BBQ chimney about 10:40 and I had a forge fire up and running by 11 AM. Did the welds, then pointed the other ends and turned them around 180 degrees to make the hearts. At that point, it was time to get ready for the GIT's 2nd grade holiday party. Got cleaned up (they don't often see Dads at these things, much less smoky dirty Dads), celebrated with the GIT and got back home by 2:30. Then firing up the gas forge, (large pipe, insulation and a MAPP gas torch) which takes all of 3 minutes to get up to heat, and finished hot cutting, scrolling and bending the hooks. Just what I wanted the gas forge for, to get to work quickly, though it doesn't get as hot as the charcoal forge, and is limited in the size of the work you can do.

Then on Xmas day, with an hour to kill I made the hook in the middle, also in the gas forge, Got to try out the new twisting wrench, an old Coe's (my first old tool) with a handle welded onto the end, nice even twists with that.

Best,

Michael-Richmond CA