I Forge Iron

Nazel 3b ingaging lever

well I've cleand her up ! every thing moves smooth, now in next few days I will be seeing haw she runs, being i don't have this mach. set with anvil and all don't want to mess it up so will be useing phone pole for anvil and i don't plane on hiting hard with it. that beeing said I could use some info on the position of the lever to ingage hammer could any one help me out. here are some photos. I'm adding a photo of my kerri hard to, it is a 25# got it from a friend last year. thank in advance Nick

post-20546-0-32000100-1304795270_thumb.j

post-20546-0-08867100-1304795384_thumb.j

post-20546-0-18090400-1304795401_thumb.j

post-20546-0-43842700-1304795426_thumb.j

post-20546-0-44241200-1304795445_thumb.j

post-20546-0-42303200-1304795503_thumb.j

post-20546-0-03064400-1304795525_thumb.j

post-20546-0-94627300-1304795638_thumb.j

well I've cleand her up ! every thing moves smooth, now in next few days I will be seeing haw she runs, being i don't have this mach. set with anvil and all don't want to mess it up so will be useing phone pole for anvil and i don't plane on hiting hard with it. that beeing said I could use some info on the position of the lever to ingage hammer could any one help me out.

The best info you will ever get is DONT DO IT. Unless that anvil is set and you know exactly what your doing dont run this machine at all. There is no safety, it is only held up by the die height. Running it will cause it to crash the top of the ram into the guide plate and do serious damage. It is far more powerful then you think.

Kerry is right but at the same time knowing it runs and how it runs is going to be very important to a buyer.. Im not saying do this, but If I was going to do it this is what I would do.. Make sure your pole/stump is bolted to a heavy steel plate on the ground so it cant move and make sure that its at least several inches taller than where the die hangs down too... you dont need anything like full travel just to test the hammer so error on the safe side and limit the travel all you can... as for the position of the leavers you should start with it in the second notch back... the first one is clamp, then the treadle will move it between notches for the "run" section... make sure it does not go forward of the clamp location.. on my hammer that locks up the compressor cylinder and I think it would be a good way to bend a connecting rod..

Be very aware, like Kerry said.. it would be very easy to do a lot of very hard to repair damage with one small mistake...

Hello all , after talking to a few guys I've decided to lower price of this great hammer . I was thinking of starting it up but I don't want to damage this great peace of machinery , I've been told that a 3b is worth any where from 6,000.00 not running to 16,000.00 running tip top. So I've decided to do this 8,500.00 or partial trade posable . That being said I would be more than happy to take 6,000.00 at time of pickup and the remanding 2,500.00 at the time you set it up in your shop and see that it runs , if it needs more than just miner work at time of setup we will just say that 6,000.00 was a good price and leave it at that, good faith on my part honesty on yours would that be fair ? The flywheel turns freely the ram moves freely seems all levers/valves are working I've cleaned it up a bit and oiled it. Nick