I Forge Iron

Converting a stoker into a forge?

Kerry D

I'm just wondering if anyone here has converted a coal stoker (furnace) into a forge. I was looking at our old furnace and thinking about what could be done with it after we replace it and I figure that worst case scenario I can convert it into a forge. I'd likely want to rig the blower and feed to a switch or foot pedal and possibly put some larger pulleys on the driven end but that would have to be a matter of experimentation if and when I do this.

I made my first coal forge from an old ship's stove. It was the correct shape and size and already lined with refractory, which is still in good condition after 30 years of use and abuse (neglect).

Your project may be worthy if the size and shape are suitable. Pictures would encourage more/better advise.

Sorry, you're right, I just assumed that a lot of people would have had some exposure to a coal stoker.

post-19742-0-14301500-1303238051_thumb.j

This image is of the backside of the unit, showing the motor, fan, multi-speed sprocket and gearbox(just barely visible under the motor) and feed hopper

post-19742-0-64488300-1303238246_thumb.j

This image shows where the actual burning takes place. The flighting pushes the up and to the top of the vent plate (the vent plate is mortared down, in a furnace it gets taken apart and cleaned annually) and burning occurs directly over the air vents. The outer ring is the shaker plate, designed to rotate slowly and eliminate ash. In these images the vent plate and shaker plate are quite worn, my house furnace was much less worn when I replaced the shaker and vent plates last year (about 50 years of service) that said, this was apparently a shop furnace so it is set to feed faster than mine was and likely ran much more often.

post-19742-0-76360900-1303238783_thumb.j

This image I included to give you a better idea of how things are setup. The two prong sprocket at the end of the flighting should give you an idea of how fast the shaker plate rotates, given that the flighting rotates between 3 and 6 rpm.

You would need to setup a ash catcher under the stoker if this project was to go through. It would not be a soaker forge but I think it could be a good forge none the less.