I Forge Iron

Vertical welding gas forge

DClaville

well for a long time have I been planing a new gas forge made mostly to weld damascus steel in but also blade forging and smelting metals for casting and what ever crazy ideas I can fit in side it

I have finished most of the forge's steel body
it is 2mm sheet metal the legs are 1" pipe so long lags made from 3/4" pipe will fit easily inside making it some what portable.
the openings are 4 x 4" square stainless steel
the handles are 16mm square chiselled lines on each flat side before twisting then
the top lit have 3 legs so it cant fall of easily and also stand on the floor without the insulation touching the ground

I have decided to go large and spendy and put 3" of 1400degree C fibre wool in it and then cast in 1" of 1800degree C high alumina castable refractory on all exposed surfaces same in the top lit

the idea is to have a closed forge where the lit can be removed so it can be used as a crucible smelting furnace.

the chamber will end up about 200mm round 300mm high

iI will cast the floor concave to the middle and have a drip hole for the flux to run out. and see how it works. If it turns out bad I can always close it up

well enough ranting here is some pics of the body
I will take more pics along the way to completion.

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

the burner will be a big venturi burner I made not long ago to try it out but will also play around trying blown type burners and see how they work

Interesting design for your forge....Would like to see more pictures as you progress.

Good looking dog also. Drahthaar right? I have hunted with a few buddies that have them. I was very impressed with how tough a dog they are, yet how easy they are to be around.