I Forge Iron

anvil identification

I recently purchased an old anvil that was in pretty bad shape. When I cleaned it up the only markings I found were a star that protrudes on one side, about 2" in height and a w on the front of the base. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer or anything about it?

Hi Gles, welcome to IFI.

You will find a wealth of information here, and lots of folks who are very knowledgable and willing to help.
You'll also find that the more information you are able to provide about your anvil, the easier it will be for those who are knowlegable in this area to assist. Do you have any pictures that you can post? Quite often, a picture is enough to narrow down the field considerably. Any other distinctive markings, forging holes, measurements, or other characteristics will help.

Purely as a guess, you may have an American Star anvil, made between the early 1850's and late 1860's, according to Anvils in America. A telltale characteristic of these anvils would be a cylindrical hole extending ~7 to 8 inches or so, up into the main body when viwed from under the base.

Again, this is only a best guess based on the very limited information you've provided. Pictures (especially), or any other information will get you a much more definative answer.

Hi Gles, welcome to IFI.

You will find a wealth of information here, and lots of folks who are very knowledgable and willing to help.
You'll also find that the more information you are able to provide about your anvil, the easier it will be for those who are knowlegable in this area to assist. Do you have any pictures that you can post? Quite often, a picture is enough to narrow down the field considerably. Any other distinctive markings, forging holes, measurements, or other characteristics will help.

Purely as a guess, you may have an American Star anvil, made between the early 1850's and late 1860's, according to Anvils in America. A telltale characteristic of these anvils would be a cylindrical hole extending ~7 to 8 inches or so, up into the main body when viwed from under the base.

Again, this is only a best guess based on the very limited information you've provided. Pictures (especially), or any other information will get you a much more definative answer.

I recently purchased an old anvil that was in pretty bad shape. When I cleaned it up the only markings I found were a star that protrudes on one side, about 2" in height and a w on the front of the base. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer or anything about it?

Thanks very much fot your reply. I will try to get a picture posted. Really great site, by the way.
GLES

I have done some more internet researh and found a photo of anvil with the identical star on the side and other characteristics. It definitely is a Star anvil. It currently weighs 117 pounds, but had some damage and is missing part of its "rear end". I estimate it probably started out about 125.
Thanks for your help.
GLES

Thanks very much fot your reply. I will try to get a picture posted. Really great site, by the way.
GLES