I Forge Iron

little giant anvils

G'day, i've been looking at a few photos on the net lately of the old style power hammers, particularly the LG and it apears the anvil is cast as two peices, (not including the dies) is the casting under the main anvil block (where the die is wedged in place) is that part hollow or solid cast? it's hard to tell, however i'm just interested as to the construction of these machines as i am looking to build myself a power hammer and am exploring options as to construction methods? thanx in advance for your replies ;)

The casting that holds the lower die is called the ''sow block'', and is solid........Don't rule out building an air hammer...good luck!

The early sow blocks were solid. The later (new style) are hollow. It's easy to tell the hollow ones as they have a hole thru them
from front to back. I think Little Giant now offers a solid replacement for some sizes. The early one piece frames without sow blocks
are also hollow in the anvil area.