I Forge Iron

Building a burner

reekanmantell

I am building a forge and came across hybridburners.com. I like the design and efficiency of those burners and have decided to play with my machining equipment and make a burner instead of buy one, however this leaves me with some questions. I have a copy of "Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns", and the book has been incredibly helpful. I am milling and lathing my forge parts instead of using standard pipe fittings, and am stuck on the venturi. I read somewhere that a 20 degree angle is "optimal" for a venturi, but I want to verify this before I lathe the part. My question is this: what is the optimal angle for a venturi, and does anyone have previous experience with machining burners that they can give me advice (I see no reason to re-invent the wheel).

Thanks in advance,

reekanmantell

Maybe I'm full of it on this but a venturi is created whenever a larger volume (pipe)is pushed through a smaller one. I use a 2'' pipe necked down to an 1 1/4'' using bushings. I suspect if I made the transitions more efficient it would blow out the flame.......Then I would probably need to up to 1/2'' pipe.........A simple solution might work just as well.......If not I'm sure I'll hear about it B)

Yes, the venturi effect is created when you reduce the diameter of a pipe a liquid (gas) is flowing through. I know I can make the burner work by reducing the pipe diameter in just about any way, but I am specifically trying to build as optimal a burner as I can. If the venturi sucks in too much air I will have a choke to fix the problem (as well as a burner flare to reduce the gas pressure at the flame).

Thanks for your suggestion, I do appreciate it!

~reekanmantell

Hi there. I make a knock off of the hybrid burners t-rex. If you lookup a post called my forge story on this site you can see some pictures of them. Anyway I bought one and then basically copied it. My reducing bell I machine out on the lathe. So mine looks a little different as i use a 45 degree angle on the outside. but the inside is 17 degrees. Cut 1/2 inch in on the inside diameter of 1 1/4 pipe and then transition to the 3/4 inside diameter at 17 degrees. My burners work beautifully. The other key is the nozzle. Good luck and I hope this helps.

If it puts you at ease, your reduction can be exactly 0 and the burner will still work just fine. :) In my opinion, it's an unneccessary extravagence, primarily designed to "open up" more surface area to bring air in. The propane jet is going to be sprayed into the small shaft either way, creating X bars of suction/pressure in the smaller tube. That will dictate how much air gets pulled in and the same speed as the propane jet, basically.

As far as I can tell the only thing that changes is the velocity of the air at the intakes. That may reduce some friction, and be a good thing, but not something I'd sweat greatly over.

All this is to say, it's pretty much impossible to mess that part up. ;)