I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Tourist

Hello everyone. From the 12th to the 25th of April I'm going on a vacation in the USA. I will be traveling along the route I have linked to here: Travel route

If anyone has, or knows about, a blacksmith shop that's open for visitors along this route please let me know. I would very much like to swing by and visit. It's always so interesting to see how other blacksmiths work when you are abroad and exchange knowledge and ideas.

Thank you

post-1-0-77489700-1301012182_thumb.jpg

I love that idea. Brian and Karen Brazeal did something similar, only theirs was a working visiting stops. I hope you get to stop alot along the way. With the folks here in IFI you may even get a chance to swing by other members home shops or even guild meets.

That's a vacation I could seriously take. Travel around, visit shops and guild meets and get to meet others from IFI and in the Blacksmiths world. I would plan my whole time to coincide with meetings, of course I'd have to make sure they also matched with the Mrs being able to look at historical sites and the such.

Good luck on the trip, if you do get something set out, make sure to post along the way of who you met and where ect. I have to ask though, will you be bringing a set of your own tools "Just in case"?

Dennis

If your route isn't set in stone, and you can swing farther South, you could stop in at the Vista Forge. Vista Forge is the local chapter of the California Blacksmiths Association. It's located at the Antique Gas and Stationary Engine Museum in Vista, California (roughly half way between San Diego and Orange County. Every Saturday, they have some sort of classes going on.

Too bad you're not here a couple days later. We're having the CBA spring conference there April 28-May 1.

More details can be found at CBA Vista: Clicky!

Thank you everyone for your offers and suggestions. I'm afraid I'm traveling with a group of people and the route is fairly set in stone, so I wont be able to deter much from it. I might be able to get to Vista, California, but I wont know until we're on our way.

I have to ask though, will you be bringing a set of your own tools "Just in case"?

That is a very good idea, and I should, but I think blacksmith tools are a bit on the heavy side for airline travel. Maybe I'll bring a hammer and some small stuff.

Really looking forward to this trip, and of course if you have suggestions for other things to do or see along this route I would really appreciate it.

Please keep in mind that Vista is only a blacksmith shop on Saturdays. The rest of the time it's an antique engine museum, and the smithy is locked up. If you're there on the 16th, it's the level II group. If you make it on the 23rd, you'll be there for the beginning class and open forge day.