I Forge Iron

Anvil markings

I inherited my Hay Budden #100 anvil. In a discussion with my dad the subject of where it came from popped up. I've heard they stopped making this anvil around 1921 so it leads me to believe it belonged to my Great Grand Father. My question is, can an anvil be soaked in something to remove rust? I used a cup brush on a 4 1/2 grinder to clean it up about a year ago and only found the "100" stamped on the side but found no other markings. I would really like to know the year model for sentimental reasons.

The only way to tell the approximate year of a Hay Budden is from the serial number which is stamped on the front of the foot. Sometimes the serial numbers get obliterated from wear and corrosion.

I find the grinder with the cup brush followed by a light wipe with boiled linseed oil will bring out details better than the cup brush alone.

Look at the front foot, left side. You should find a serial # there. Get that to use and we can tell you the year it was born. BTW, they were made through 1925. To clean it in order to find any other markings wipe it down with diesel, this will hold down the dust! let it set for a while and soak then take your wire wheel and clean. The markings you should find will be mid-waist with the horn to your right. It could also have a # on the oppisite side just under the face plate and towards the tail of the anvil. I have already told you where to find the serial #. Post pics of this little darling! I have 2 HBs, my primary anvil at 185# and my demo anvil checks in at 105#. LOVE them both, wouldn't take for them either.