I Forge Iron

cutting a centered groove in a 1/2" steel bar

ok so I've made 2 balisongs (butterfly knives) so far, which are much better than store bought I've been told, but I never can cut the grove in the handles as even and straight as I like. I only have basic tools like a pessicion mini lathe, pessicion drill press, angle grinder, and a dremel to work with. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get a straight, even, and centered groove in a 1/2" steel bar? thanx

Used with a pulling motion like a drawknife. Commonly discussed on knifemaker forums.

Now, if you had access to a milling machine, a keyway cutter would work.

well I've got a drill press with a milling vice. I normally drill holes to the depth I want and use the drill bit like a side cutting bit but the groove always ends up crooked or curvy and my bit almost always breaks. in a week or so I'm going to get some keyway cutters, hopefully they don't break! I'm trying to cut a groove 1/8in wide, about 3/4 the way through a 1/2 inch bar, will keyway bits tolerat that if I take it slow?

I'm assuming your talking about an endmill (looks like a short stubby flatbottomed drill bit ?). Might work through mild steel. Keep your speed up and throw something for coolant on there, WD40 would work just fine. If you find that doesn't work a couple other ideas;

Use your lathe as a mill. Throw your endmill in the chuck of the lathe and clamp your work piece to your tool holder, use shims to get it to the right height. Lock or clamp your carriage down and slowly feed with your cross slide, might have to clamp, cut, unclamp, move ahead, clamp a few times, but oughta work, use coolant again.

Do you have a table saw ? If its just mild steel you could try using a carbide tipped saw blade and by taking really light cuts chew out the groove with that, no personal experience with it but I've heard of it working for guys before. If you can change the speed of the saw slow it down as much as possible and for goodness sake be careful...

I'm assuming your talking about an endmill (looks like a short stubby flatbottomed drill bit ?). Might work through mild steel. Keep your speed up and throw something for coolant on there, WD40 would work just fine. If you find that doesn't work a couple other ideas;

Use your lathe as a mill. Throw your endmill in the chuck of the lathe and clamp your work piece to your tool holder, use shims to get it to the right height. Lock or clamp your carriage down and slowly feed with your cross slide, might have to clamp, cut, unclamp, move ahead, clamp a few times, but oughta work, use coolant again.

Do you have a table saw ? If its just mild steel you could try using a carbide tipped saw blade and by taking really light cuts chew out the groove with that, no personal experience with it but I've heard of it working for guys before. If you can change the speed of the saw slow it down as much as possible and for goodness sake be careful...

oh wow I like the table saw idea! My dad has one with veriable speeds and the same cutting disks as my angle grinder just bigger. Wish I'da thought of that! THANX!!! That'll work perfect! I'll have to build a clamp with a big handle to hold the piece so I keep all my parts connected to me, though!lol Thanx again!