I Forge Iron

BLOWER HELP!!!!!!!

joshua.M

so i have a canedy otto/ western cheif blower, it was great when i got it, but in the past week it has been making a poping/gringing noise and not putting out as much air, i went to clean the oil out, the tube was clogged, i got it unclogged and the oil was abnormaly nasty (i change every 3 weeks) and i chased it with kerosein to get it clean, then put new oil, it was still poping and grinding, so i took off the gear plate and didnt see anything wrong, so i put it back on and oiled again, and now it wont turn at all. I'm worryed that i wont be able to fix it
thanks in advance
-Josh

Josh, alot of times the casing for the fan blades gets stuff in it, or had some sort of stuff in it. i have seen them with wasp nests, mouse nests etc. Could also be the gears. I got my canedy otto blower off ebay, i took it apart to clean it and some of the gears were very well used, after some bushings and adjustments, it works great, but only in one direction, if i rotate it the other way it grinds a bit.

Josh -

Unless the gears are really messed up, you should be able to fix it. In the solid fuel forges section, there's a thread I posted about a Canedy-otto I fixed up. I had to replace all the bearings, and one gear - but it was really easier than I thought it would be. Most of the work was just getting all the old grime out.
Checking the fan is also a very good idea; there could be something in there, or perhaps the fan is making contact with the blower shell.

Josh -

Unless the gears are really messed up, you should be able to fix it. In the solid fuel forges section, there's a thread I posted about a Canedy-otto I fixed up. I had to replace all the bearings, and one gear - but it was really easier than I thought it would be. Most of the work was just getting all the old grime out.
Checking the fan is also a very good idea; there could be something in there, or perhaps the fan is making contact with the blower shell.

Update on the blower i got it all taken apart and cleaned and there is what looks to be an Al cog gear that is almost completly stripped so i called the guy i got it from he thinks he may have a spare part so as i'm waiting for the part it is sitting in deisle fuel to clen all the old grime out of it
-josh