I Forge Iron

Propane tank setup

Carlewis

I am trying to set up my new Chili forge. My local propane guy says that it is against the law (I am in WI) for him to install my propane tank outside with piping to the inside because it is high pressure and it is dangerous. (Chili recommends 9-15 psi working pressure.) He is only allowed to install pipe for up to 5 psi and that is only with a special permit. He said most residential uses are at .5 psi.

Now, of course, having the tank inside is even more dangerous. I have tried to research this to find out what others have done and to find a solution. Please tell me what I am missing here. What do all of you do?

Thanks so much.

He is correct. He is working by the Uniform Plumbing Code and that is what is in effect where you live. It sound like you are having a large tank installed that is normally used to supply all the needs of household equipment not a blacksmith forge. If you are going to run hard piping to your forge you will need to run something made for higher pressure than schedule 40, perhaps schedule 80 or schedule 120 pipe and fittings. For this you will need to go through the permitting process. Like most of us who run a propane forge off of BBQ bottle we tend to ignore the permitting process and all the rules about having a propane bottle in a structure, like our shop for instance. Propane is a very dangerous gas, as it is heavier than air and tends to build up close to the floor when there is a leak. Natural gas isn't much better when it comes to leaks but we, being blacksmiths, tend to let the code thing slip to the back ground when we are forging. Now in the past I have used the big 100 pound bottles in my shop with just the standard rubber hose from the tank regulator to the forge without any problem but it hard to that with one of those big ground mounted tanks that takes a crane to place. Yes your installer is correct, this ain't no BBQ. :blink:

For what this may be worth to you!
Propane Gas Line into shop
I ran into a problem with installing a fixed gas line into my shop!

Our code says that I have to keep my propane tank out side.
I have to keep the tank at least 3 feet away from a window or door,
and 10 feet away from an electrical outlet or appliance.

I also have to run the gas line through the wall with/(in) black pipe.
It requires a regulator, Gage, and shut off valve on each side of the wall.
I am using a 100 pound tank.
So I designed my shop to accommodate this issue.

PLEASE DO NOT keep any tanks inside of where you have an ignition of some type going.
Such as welding operations of any type, cutting (sparks), grinding, or forging.
I had a tank vent when the tempters were only about 70 degrees. That was not supposed to happen, but IT DID!
If that tank had been near where I was forging, I suppose I would not be here typing to you.

It is not worth trying to beat the code. It will help keep you safer!
You will do yourself and everybody who cares about you a favor to learn and understand all that you can about using propane!
Please be safe! ~ Ted Throckmorton

He is correct. He is working by the Uniform Plumbing Code and that is what is in effect where you live. It sound like you are having a large tank installed that is normally used to supply all the needs of household equipment not a blacksmith forge. If you are going to run hard piping to your forge you will need to run something made for higher pressure than schedule 40, perhaps schedule 80 or schedule 120 pipe and fittings. For this you will need to go through the permitting process. Like most of us who run a propane forge off of BBQ bottle we tend to ignore the permitting process and all the rules about having a propane bottle in a structure, like our shop for instance. Propane is a very dangerous gas, as it is heavier than air and tends to build up close to the floor when there is a leak. Natural gas isn't much better when it comes to leaks but we, being blacksmiths, tend to let the code thing slip to the back ground when we are forging. Now in the past I have used the big 100 pound bottles in my shop with just the standard rubber hose from the tank regulator to the forge without any problem but it hard to that with one of those big ground mounted tanks that takes a crane to place. Yes your installer is correct, this ain't no BBQ. :blink:

For what this may be worth to you!
Propane Gas Line into shop
I ran into a problem with installing a fixed gas line into my shop!

Our code says that I have to keep my propane tank out side.
I have to keep the tank at least 3 feet away from a window or door,
and 10 feet away from an electrical outlet or appliance.

I also have to run the gas line through the wall with/(in) black pipe.
It requires a regulator, Gage, and shut off valve on each side of the wall.
I am using a 100 pound tank.
So I designed my shop to accommodate this issue.

PLEASE DO NOT keep any tanks inside of where you have an ignition of some type going.
Such as welding operations of any type, cutting (sparks), grinding, or forging.
I had a tank vent when the tempters were only about 70 degrees. That was not supposed to happen, but IT DID!
If that tank had been near where I was forging, I suppose I would not be here typing to you.

It is not worth trying to beat the code. It will help keep you safer!
You will do yourself and everybody who cares about you a favor to learn and understand all that you can about using propane!
Please be safe! ~ Ted Throckmorton

Thank you so much for these answers. I will take them to my propane guy and see if he would work within those parameters. My other concern is that my village is almost hostile to outsiders (i.e. me and other folk that don't come from around here) and is very unlikely to grant any special permits. The last time I tried to get a permit to build an extension onto my garage (shop) I got a letter from the village president siting me for violations for what could be in my yard, as in the steel and "debris" that I wanted to put inside the addition. I'd hate to go down the road of being accused of harboring propane.

My neighborhood has a homeowners association and I was constantly assailed with that kind of crap also. I was always getting letters about my smithing, pounding on the anvil was too loud, the coal smoke too obnoxious, you name it an it was a problem. I was near as noisy as the guy restoring old cars and I did my stuff in the afternoons, he did his from the time he got off work until ten o'clock at night or later sometimes. Some people just want to pick a fight with you because your new to the area or not part of their group. Hang in there! I only quit because of my health. :P