I Forge Iron

hot punch

Rusty, I made a hot puch from a ball pein hammer, too. I heated up the ball and flattened it to make that the struck end. Then I drew out the hammer head for the punch. I did this by hand hammer, before I made my tire hammer. I really need to go back and reforge the punch end, now. It has worked OK for the holes up to 1/2" that I've punched. :)

Rusty, I made a hot puch from a ball pein hammer, too. I heated up the ball and flattened it to make that the struck end. Then I drew out the hammer head for the punch. I did this by hand hammer, before I made my tire hammer. I really need to go back and reforge the punch end, now. It has worked OK for the holes up to 1/2" that I've punched. :)

just like me to start on the wrong end i will procede to make punch hitting big end and driving the pointy end that was the ball aftwr shaping and dressing with grinder is time for temper? harden the point i think i want soft target for hammer

I'm sorry, Rusty. What I said didn't come out right. I was not saying that the ball end wouldn't work. Just that the one that I made for my purposes was done the other way. I'm sure that yours will work too. Sorry for not saying that more clearly. I do know that I will never pound out a ball pein hammer by hand again.:blink: That was a lot of work. :)

great got some idea what it will be like now finished forging hammer head turned into hot punch do i heat to orange quench from stick hole to point and watch color travel up to point hoping to have hard pointy end and soft strike end/that was h. head