I Forge Iron

500 # ???

I got this bfa circa 1972 and have never even come close to finding out it's origin, even Bill Gitchner was stumped. I got it from the UPRR. '' x 24'' long x 6'' wide face,15'' high, 39'' length. On one side just up from the bottom is an infinity symbol inside a circle. Above that is a ''Z''. Out of 15k+ members here this probably my last shot. It appears to be cast, note the symbols are convex. there are no sq holes in the body, It has sprues running parallel to the length below the heel and horn. It also has a 1'' tool steel face , different from the main mass......seems an odd duck! Oh and it rings like a bell , I put it on a piece of styrofoam once and tried it
note......putting an anvil on say, 1-2'' of styrafoam then striking it will give you a max ring.

post-15096-0-36674300-1296330407_thumb.j

post-15096-0-55568100-1296330447_thumb.j

Alright MB, make us all green with envy. Can you tell us what you paid for it?

I'll tell ya, sort of, When I found out about the anvil back in 1972, I contacted the UPRR . I called this office and that office, then to the bureau over there, and back to that office. This went on for months....................................................................

The marker paint was put there to prevent me from walking into it . It overhangs the base so much, and can blend into the background so well, I crashed into it with my thighs.OUCH !!
looks as though we might just have a winner! The man from Thermopolis! To collect your prize, bring yourself and your truck, and by hand, load it. I seem to remember It took more than one.....................................................................anybody wanna buy a 4B?

Hey don't tempt me, I stand 6'3 at #300 and have easily manuvered hunks of iron much heavier than that into the back of my pickup to follow me home. :)

It's also welded to a 100# stand, all or nothing big guy......................................

Actually someone did try to take the bet once, a guy about your size. I believe beer was involved , well he went to get hunkered into it and I stopped the fool. He wasn't even a blacksmith!

Ahhh....now I see why you didn't reveal what you paid for it. How about a good picture of the right side face edge?

1972 prices are pretty irrelevant............ I'm not sure what I gave for it.......
I don't know RT from LT on an anvil, just the side I like to work from........mb

post-15096-0-43293200-1296667874_thumb.j

post-15096-0-58382900-1296668653_thumb.j

Looks to me that it has been repaired heavily?

I'm not sure what you mean by heavily........It was touched up a little 35 yrs ago, but as far as a major buildup along the edges, no.
I think what you're seeing is where I sanded this AM to make it show nice, on the top and edges. It looks like It could be a nickel rod material , but it's Not