I Forge Iron

Questions about hammer dies

Not knocking at all!!! I like it! I have a LG with REALLY worn dies. So worn, I have a 1/2" shim under the bottom die. I could mill these flat and use your system. Coming up with smaller die materials is always easier....

I think I like this system better than the one Sid uses because the likely hood of the bolts backing out seems less to me.

Hey FE - Sorry - I think you misunderstood. It was not my intent to imply that you were being disagreeable about anything. I simply meant that I do not take issue with anything that works. I will try to be a better communicator .

Milling your dies flat and working from there seems like a good plan. In fact the shorter holder dies would preserve the stroke length rather than shorten it. That would be a good thing. Sorry for the confusion.

I my self use the Clay Spencer method I use flat dies and have spring tools and hand tools that I can place on my hammer they change out quickly with just a turn of the "T" handle. I figured I would use a system that was flexible for me. I have also taken other dies and adapted them to my attaching method which is a piece of angle iron welded to the bottom and a "C" clamp to hold it to the lower die.

I my self use the Clay Spencer method I use flat dies and have spring tools and hand tools that I can place on my hammer they change out quickly with just a turn of the "T" handle. I figured I would use a system that was flexible for me. I have also taken other dies and adapted them to my attaching method which is a piece of angle iron welded to the bottom and a "C" clamp to hold it to the lower die.

Francis - I would like to see some pictures of your fixtures and system. It is always interesting and educational to see alternative solutions.

Francis - I had a look at Clay's "system". Yes, lots of good tooling. Thanks for the reference, and thanks to Brian for the link. I really do not see a conflict . I use spring swages, and snappers. These approaches are not mutually exclusive. Why not take advantage of these and other systems as well . Why not take advantage of all available options. I like having more than one way to perform a given task.