I Forge Iron

Big Stuff

Dillon Sculpture

Nah, just a bit of 5" round, that was the last piece I forged before I tore down the Niles. Its about 6' long with a 2" hole through 3 1/2" on the flat.

I picked up a bunch of big stuff at a real estate sale of some commercial property quite a few years ago,. I bought with the lot 8 pc. of 6" billet 10' long $50 each B) Still have no way to heat it up yet but I have been cutting chunks off.

The sculpture has been rolling around in my empty skull for awhile now, 16' to 20' tall, will have movement sorta like a cross between a pair of tongs and a clock escapement. I just have to figure out how to forge some more long heavy stuff without a jib crane :(

post-2769-0-70061400-1295098577_thumb.jp

As clean as that shop is and with the overhead so far up there I`m surprised you don`t have a rolling A frame with a chainfall or electric hoist on it for this sort of stuff.

So,with all your digging around you haven`t come across an overhead crane system for scrap prices yet?You need to get farther north buddy!
Think of the bending potential if nothing else.
Don`t let the engineers see you do it though.They tended to get all freaked out and acted like Chicken Little whenever they caught me at it.
I told them if they didn`t want me using it like that then they shouldn`t have placed those support columns where I could get to them. :rolleyes:

Thats a tough combination these days, maybe you should come down and give it a try! Billet will do the trick, I have a piece already cut with a hook welded on that I've used for increasing my forklift capacity, instead of four dudes riding bronco :blink:

I had another idea for the push lift...A manipulator made from a post vise reforged into a pair of tongs? The leg would be a great pivot if I can get the jaws to line up. Anyone have ideas for the shape of the jaws? Shooting for something universal.