I Forge Iron

shopping for a welder

Don A

On 6/15/2005 at 3:24 AM, Don A said:

I have been smiting iron for the better part of three years now, so I am beginning to think the condition might be permanent. So far, when it comes to tools, I have been a minimalist; by necessity and not by choice. My tools have been very basic: anvil, hammer, tongs

A bit of a mystery what is it that you are asking here, Welders are purchased according to what it is that you need welded, so shopping for a welder is an open question. 

Shopping for a welder needs to define budget and welding requirements. Shopping for a welder also depends from your welding skills. You can buy an old transformer AC stick for a song if you know how to weld. However to say that stick welding is the best way to learn welding is like saying using a hammer and nails is the best way to learn carpentry. 

If I had limited money and no welding experience I would first learn to weld at a friends shop, and then buy an inverter MIG with fluxcore wire. 

But hei ... we are all different. :)

PS

Ooops ... just realised I am posting from home with no problems ... :blink:?