I Forge Iron

My first Forge

Dglok1

Hey guys i am creating my first gas/propane forge and have a few pictures of what i am using and what materials i have and i was hoping for feed back on what to do and if what i have is even adequate. just so you know the cement (left tub)is rated to 2700+ and the mortar (right)is at 2000+ i was planning on lining the bottom with firebrick and using the mortar to seal it so nothing gets inbetween the bricks themselves but the main problem i have is where can i put the burner.

post-15680-0-69031500-1293720817_thumb.j

post-15680-0-61455600-1293720822_thumb.j

post-15680-0-68888600-1293720830_thumb.j

You can make a gas forge out of a pile of bricks just placed loosely with a burner shoved in the side. I have even seen people forge weld in them. I would forget about the pot bellied stove. I think it will complicate things because of its complex geometry . An old freon tank with the ends cut off will make a better housing for a forge. Just line with some ceramic fiber wool its quick and easy then stick the burner in the side. No need to reinvent the wheel on your first forge.

You can make a gas forge out of a pile of bricks just placed loosely with a burner shoved in the side. I have even seen people forge weld in them. I would forget about the pot bellied stove. I think it will complicate things because of its complex geometry . An old freon tank with the ends cut off will make a better housing for a forge. Just line with some ceramic fiber wool its quick and easy then stick the burner in the side. No need to reinvent the wheel on your first forge.

I agree. The CI stove, seems like it would be nice but it's going to be awkward to make into a small propane forge. For a first forge, you should stick to a simple, tried and true design. Keep it simple, keep it small and keep it conventional. a 10" or 12" dia shell lined with 2"-3" of coated ceramic wool and a basic burner stuck in one side is a dependable design. If you have problems, people here are familiar with this design and will give you effective advice. Keep the actual chamber no larger than 6"dia x 12" long. 5"x8" is a great size IMO for a small versatile forge. Most people dont have experience working with high temps, propane and refractory. There are countless threads where people have built a first forge with "innovative" designs only to find they dont work well because of something they didn't understand. It's in the nature of good smiths to look at some contraption and think "I can improve on that design". It's an admirable attitude but this is not the place to let it have its head.