I Forge Iron

is there a wholesale Hawk market?

Ive made quite a few hawks this year, probably around 50.. I sold maybe 30 at this falls NWBA conference when we had a hawk throw but I count those high numbers to selling them cheap (I had a hands on demo to teach so I made a bunch right before for practice) Anyway Eric Grip (DABlacksmith)was up to my shop before that and we had talked about the wholesale hawk market... The idea has kind of stuck in my head and I think I am ready to try my hand at making a batch and wanted to get some feedback on the style/design.

They are a slit and drifted one piece design made from 7/8" 4140, I think if I do them in batches I could wholesale them for about $60 handled and ready to throw ( I am pretty sure I could make 20-25 a day if I am set up and cranking them out)

I would leave them pretty much as forged (like this one) just give them an edge and knock off the corners, handle them and leave them un heat treated

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this, if you think the design is appropriate, who might be a good person to sell batches too for resale... that sort of thing...

post-2750-0-83220500-1293213698_thumb.jp

post-2750-0-73268200-1293213701_thumb.jp

post-2750-0-45498600-1293213705_thumb.jp

post-2750-0-48895800-1293213709_thumb.jp

post-2750-0-49514200-1293213726_thumb.jp

Nice looking hawk for a finish it yourself kit. I have no idea what the market is now for Frontiersman/Mountainman/Ranger type dress up/make believe sales are. Back in the sixties and seventies it seemed to be pretty good when I was making flintlock and percussion guns but then it faded out for awhile. I guess there has always been some market for it but just how much I don't know and is it something that is going to be worth your long term investment is another good question. You know if there is big enough demand someone will take the manufacture of these off shore and undercut your price.

Check the net some. When I was in the Boy Scouts we had some that we sold through the summer camp's trading post. Those may have come from Dixie Gun Works, but I am not sure. I used to see a lot of them in various catalogs.

With that being said it may depend on your intended customer base. The ones we were selling retailed for I believe $15, and they were folded, and welded. Now a guy who is deep into reenacting may pay quite a bit more for an authentic reproduction.

I would do a thorough net search to see what all is already available, and at what price levels.

I just looked over my post and realized I said wholesale for $60. I was thinking retail at @ $60. I figure I'd get $30-$35. I also am thinking I would do a mild steel no spike model for maybe $15-20 wholesale

I have poked around a bit. There are lots for sale but i have no idea how many get sold. I'm going to make up 50 or so and try and find a single wholesale outlet. Part of the problem is I don't have any interest in selling them myself

I'm a reenactor, probably the biggest consumer of throwing hawks (though the scouts may have us beat idk). Cheapo India throwers are de rigueur, and the rest of the market is reserved for folks who want repops of specific examples or styles. Cheap ones run $25 roughly, to vastly over-priced castings in the $50 range. Hand forged ones are at least $80 for hatchets, more for axes. Jymm Hoffman has made some before. I have split the eye, but not forge welded (don't have that skill) one together.
73144_1468140029067_1400550150_31084566_