I Forge Iron

Pan to catch molten borax?

kraythe

I am sort of sick of borax eating my insulation and was wondering if anyone had tried making a metal pan to insert into the bottom of a forge to catch the molten borax. How did that turn out? Any ideas in that area? Thanks in advance.

There's a guy around here who was going to do something like that with titanium. The problem you're likely to run into is that not that many materials can stand up to forge welding temps for long, and borax is good at dissolving most of the stuff that will. That's what makes it work as flux! I think your best bet is a sacrificial floor that can be easily replaced.

Second thought: when you say "eating my insulation," does that mean you letting borax get in contact with uncoated ceramic wool? Because if that's your baseline, yeah, there's a lot of room for improvement!

If you use a good ramable/ram/plastic you do not need a sacrificial anything, even if you do a lot of forge welding. All you will have to do is scrape out the flux and scale when hot, or even chisel out the build up when cold. No replacing anything. I have been using ram in the bottom of my forges for years. As long as the blanket is covered, it takes a beating and keeps on heating. You can just cover up the blanket with an inch or so of this stuff and go. I prefer to use a little more in the bottom. I have 3 forges that I rotate due size and location of projects. I have not needed to replace the bottom in years and have 2 hard tops in service for over a year, no relining or replacing anything. I used AP Green/Harbison Walker's product, Plasteck 85 for a while until I got hooked up with a new dealer listed below.

Here's the Dixie Refractory contact is Ken Goedeker, email: rss-ifs@att.net Thermogen 60 STF is working very nicely, even with UPS shipping from Alabama to Pittsburgh, Pa area, the cost is less than 1/2 of local Harbison Walker dealer and Plasteck 85. Ken also gave me the best price on blanket, I use 1" 8 pound 2300 degree blanket. I don't remember the cost of 3,000 degree mortar mix as am still using the sample he sent to me. He has been a great guy to work with and has visited my shop several times. First to see what I was doing prior to making recommendations, then to check up on things.He stopped in a couple of weeks ago to check up on me while he was in my area. I have started lining the top of my forges with the Thermogen 60 as well. Now I don't worry about hitting any blanket with work, especially during a weld.