I Forge Iron

Patch Knife Project for Students Of Old Technology (S.O.O.T)

Alan DuBoff

Gents,

We have a group of folks that meet over at the historical smithy at Ardenwood in Fremont, CA, and this Thurs. we have a project starting up to forge a patch knife.

This knife was forged from a coil spring, and the handle was made from an old wagon wheel, by Scott Thomas, the blacksmith at Ardenwood Forge. Scott joined IFI, but not sure if he's following the knife forum yet. He should be if he's not, since he makes some very nice knifes and swords, IMO.

(linky pic)

small_pk_right_edge.jpg

1250.attach

Smith,

I didn't coin it, but it is a great name.

I think they went through other names to derive on the one they have now, and I've seen reference to "Students of Olde-Tyme Technologies" on some stuff. I suspect they use what they have now for simplicity.

Going to Ardenwood is always a treat, it's like stepping back in time 100 years. The era of the historical farm is 1890-1920, so there is some electricity around, but not very much. Getting some water yesterday was too much, going to the pump in the courtyard and filling the watering can...it makes one really understand what folks did in those days.

Aside from the coolness of the historical farm, Scott Thomas make the smithy what it is. Having him and being able to have access to someone like him is invaluable to me.

Working metal is fun, and knowing how to work it properly is helpful.

There will be some folks that have never forged a piece of steel in their life, yet they will be able to learn and create this knife. Maybe it will encourage them to do similar at their home, get a few tools, and have at it. It doesn't take a lot of tools to get going, it just take several to do it properly. (that sure sounds like hypocricy :P )

What a great meeting for the Students Of Old Technology, and we were joined by several of the Bay Area Galoots, it was a most enjoyable evening for everyone who attended.

EDIT: I 'spose I should add that this steel started life as a coil spring, and we used a couple loops straightened, taking turns with the sledge to flatten it. Then Scott held the stock with the flattener and it was made fairly uniform. We then took turns forming a tang, cutting off 2" of additional stock on the hardy cut-off.

That's as far as we got tonight, we didn't get to start forming the blade.

Here's some pics of the start of the knife project.

(linky pic)

small_blade.jpg

Sorry about picture quality, I wasn't having too much luck with taking clear pics tonight. Probably had something to do with the forge flames and low light. EDIT: nope, figured it out, I had the wrong setting on my camera...:(

Here's what I ended up with:

small_pk_stock.jpg

1282.attach

Jimmy,

I think I have the want to, but need some more skill to. ;)

Things are moving foward, I'm plugging away at it, and learning as I go...:cool:

Many of the folks have never forged before, so it's a great project in that sense, as it gets people to forging and making something useful. Scott Thomas did a great job at explaining things to folks.