I Forge Iron

drawer pulls

dablacksmith

Nice!! Wanna share the process? That would make a great BP. :D

not too hard you need to make a tool (i used a chunk of axle) to upset into . i made the tool by forgeing it to fit in the hearty hole with a good chunk above (3-4 inches) took my bigest handled punch drove it in about 3/4 of an inch for the handle part let it cool . to make the pull i use 1-3/4 in of 3/4 square (round will work also )yellow head drive it into the tool till it upsets and flatens to desired size (3-4 heats) decorate as you want (i used a thin fuller and a big eyeball punch) drill and thread for bolt to hold it and your set (will take a picture of the tool and post it sometime soon).

Hey Eric, I make blanks much like that on my Hydraulic press... If they are a popular addition to your product line maybe I could make the blanks for you? ... I made a dozen today in about 15 min.... Id say a buck and a half to two bucks each for labor and I could crank out all the headed slugs you wanted ;)

Hey Eric, I make blanks much like that on my Hydraulic press... If they are a popular addition to your product line maybe I could make the blanks for you? ... I made a dozen today in about 15 min.... Id say a buck and a half to two bucks each for labor and I could crank out all the headed slugs you wanted ;)

wow... gona have to see how they sell... if they go good ile be in contact!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Eric. Ever get those pics of your toooling? Just curious to see how you did them. Thanks. :D

ok finally got around to some pictures ... first pic is the tool i made . it fits the hearty hole and i drive the hot steel into it. second picture is after the first heat (really beating on it with 4 lb hammer) second pic is after second heat third is the finish heat. hope it helps . oho and i started with 1 3/4 in piece of 3/4 sq rod round would work well also .

post-3127-0-59029000-1292792232_thumb.jp

post-3127-0-24660400-1292792254_thumb.jp

post-3127-0-32401000-1292792272_thumb.jp

post-3127-0-44397400-1292792311_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Did you take part of one of the heats to square up the head? I'm having a hard time controlling mine. After about twenty it's getting a bit better. I'm using an 8# maul to squish.... I punched a 1/2# deep hole 1/2" in diameter and am putting in a 1 1/2" piece of 1/2 round stock. I put pictures of it over on NWBA site. Didn't know I was copying yours. Hope that's alright? Made mine from a piece of jackhammer bit.... Eric S.

Did you take part of one of the heats to square up the head? I'm having a hard time controlling mine. After about twenty it's getting a bit better. I'm using an 8# maul to squish.... I punched a 1/2# deep hole 1/2" in diameter and am putting in a 1 1/2" piece of 1/2 round stock. I put pictures of it over on NWBA site. Didn't know I was copying yours. Hope that's alright? Made mine from a piece of jackhammer bit.... Eric S.

they look similar ... might be a little lighter weight i went with a 5/8 tapering to 3/4 hole in tooling about 5/8 deep and ime useing a bit heavyer stock ive used 5/8 round and 3/4 sq stock in 1 3/4 leingths and ime useing a lighter hammer to forge um ... made myself a 4 lb hammer i can swing for a wile (not all day) it helps with the control... stoll dont get um perfectly centered but a little off is ok... its hand made!!