I Forge Iron

Thrower for my brother

bhanna

(hope I'm attaching the image correctly)
My first finished high carbon knife, and also my first thrower. Gift for my brother's birthday. I thought the blue color it took on in the tempering added character, so I kept it :). My wife's going to make a leather sheath for it. I think he'll like it, it throws better than the rest of my throwers, and it holds a decent edge too. On a side note, it did develop a really slight curve in the quench, and I haven't been able to get it out. Any hints on getting it out, and also on preventing it in the future?

post-14675-0-34122700-1289169062_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice! The slight curve might have to do with the angle you put knife in the tank at. Or if you put it in edge first; I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to that though. But, in my experience, if you quench something like that edge first, the blade can curve due to the cooling of the metal unevenly. This can cause problems, (cracks, etc) but it doesnt look like it did.

• 2 weeks later...

It had curved to the side. I actually bought the book 'The Complete Bladesmith' and used a trick from that. Went and got a propane torch, heated up the parts that were curved, and straightened it out in my bench vise. Turned out quite nice actually, and he loved it. Here is a pic of the finished knife with the sheath (first time i've ever worked with leather).

post-14675-0-83977900-1291524547_thumb.j