I Forge Iron

Congratulations on your new hammer. After you get it up and running, using flat dies, what do you think the maximum stock for drawing tapers and forging is with both hammers? How does the Big Blu compare to the Iron Kiss for handling larger stock material? Do you think the 65 big blu or the 50 iron kiss would handle 4" X 1" stock in the 4" way? (edgewise or the hard way).

I have a big blu 155. Has worked out great for me. I tend to work mostly heavy materials and it handles what i throw at it well. I would recommend a big storage tank for air or a very effiecent air compressor for working heavy materials due to the extended hammering time you can get.

I have a big blu 155. Has worked out great for me. I tend to work mostly heavy materials and it handles what i throw at it well. I would recommend a big storage tank for air or a very effiecent air compressor for working heavy materials due to the extended hammering time you can get.

Do you think that if I were to work 2X2 or 1X4 the hard way, the 155 could do that all day long... and effeciently with flat dies?

What kind and size of compressor would you recommend. When I get going, I will be running fairly constant and do not want to wait for the air to build up.

Do you think that I should go to that size hammer to work this kind of stock... or would a smaller hammer do the job?

Thanks

Do you think that if I were to work 2X2 or 1X4 the hard way, the 155 could do that all day long... and effeciently with flat dies?

What kind and size of compressor would you recommend. When I get going, I will be running fairly constant and do not want to wait for the air to build up.

Do you think that I should go to that size hammer to work this kind of stock... or would a smaller hammer do the job?

Thanks

If you want to forge that size steel, I'd recommend you go try a hammer before you buy one. Working 4 x 1 the hard way is going to be a challenge.

Congrats on the new toy!.... So you have a 110# Big Blu as well? Id be real interested to know what you think of the new little brother in comparison...

I forged with the 65 and I am happy. My 110 is the old style withe the bolt on dies but it works great. The 65 hits faster and uses less air I have both hammers set up with different dies, combo on the 110 and crown on the 65 and I was back and forth all day. It hits different but I think I'm going to be very happy. I was going to get the 155 but then I realized I just wanted it because it was bigger. There is a lot of control with both hammers, I did everything from draw small tapers to cold texture flat plate yesterday.