I Forge Iron

Freon Can Furnace Dimensions

SGensh

As I was preparing a sheet of dimensions to assist the purchasers of my burners with making their own small forges I thought that some of the readers here might also find this useful. If you use these dimensions for your ceramic fiber lining you will need to roll each layer of batting tightly in order to get it into the furnace body after first placing the two end discs into the chamber. Be sure to place the seams in the area under where the brick (or kiln shelf) will go and stagger the two seams slightly to each side of the center line. Smooth each layer of isulation into place and keep the "ceiling" a smooth arc. You will need to wiggle the brick floor into the the refractory to compress the wool slightly. In a small forge like this no other support is needed under the floor. (I've been traveling one around for over a year with the original brick and lining and no problems.) If you decide to coat the wool with a rigidizer (recommended) it helps to slightly dampen the wool and use a brush whth the handle cut off short to apply it. Steve G

When I checked this post I realized that the .jpg image attached comes up too large so I will add a smaller version in another post. More to learn. Steve G

post-8-0-31526600-1288739620_thumb.jpg