I Forge Iron

cold chisel work

Cold chisels have always been the step children of my tool collection. I used them for the odd brutal job like shearing a rivet head but always considered them a very limited tool. Anyway today I needed to cut an arc out of a piece of 1/8" strap. I hogged the cut by hackswing a series of cuts down close to the line and then clamped the piece in the vise and sheared out the strips with a chisel which left a very ragged edge. At this point I usually reach for the grinder but I had been using it all day and was sick of it. So I decided to see how far I could go with the chisel. I quickly found I could pare out thin chips with surprisingly fine control. The photos show the piece after chiseling. It took only a couple of licks with the file after that. I dont think a grinder would have been much faster.

I think I will clean up my cold chisels and learn to use them.

post-2624-010965000 1288587569_thumb.jpgpost-2624-091770400 1288587572_thumb.jpg

I get tired of listening to grinders.. and other power tools, I know that my hand tools are not as fast as power tools... but they also lack most of the noise too....

I like using files .. chisels ... planes ... I work iron and wood.... over power tools.. it is just more satisfying... that is not to say I eschew them... I just enjoy using them when I have the time...

just a thought...
Cliff

I get tired of listening to grinders.. and other power tools, I know that my hand tools are not as fast as power tools... but they also lack most of the noise too....

I like using files .. chisels ... planes ... I work iron and wood.... over power tools.. it is just more satisfying... that is not to say I eschew them... I just enjoy using them when I have the time...

just a thought...
Cliff

Cliff,

I feel the same way. I much prefer using hand tools. I use my hacksaw and wood saws whenever reasonably possible. For a small job, if you factor in setup time it's often faster. I particularly hate the screamers: Angle grinders, chopsaws and routers. But it's not just the noise. There is a feeling of contact with the material that gets lost when a power tool is involved.

But I couldn't manage without power tools. This morning I had to grind out some crummy welds on sheet metal. That would have been an awful job with a chisel and a file.

Had a similar experience recently with my post vise. To fit the vise onto the new portable stand the mounting bracket had to slide down the post a bit. There was a ridge of soft wrought just below the bracket that kept the bracket from sliding down some. Couldn't really get at it with a grinder or a file. But sharpening up the smallest cold chisel in the tool box I was able to take little curls of iron off the ridge, right down to the surface metal. Worked great! The next piece of plate I have to smooth I'll start with the chisel.