I Forge Iron

Hornless german anvil

I have been drooling over the pics of hornless anvils and since there is no way I can buy the one that I want I have decided to make one. I know this topic has been beaten to death and I have made my own anvil in the past with less than stellar results, it looks great but has no rebound. I cant help myself I am going to try again. I want to start with a block of A36 and machine or have it flame cut to rough shape then forge it all over under my power hammer more for astetics than anything else. I want to put a plate on it made of tool steel I have some o1 and some s7 as well as some a500. I have never forge welded somthing this big. Or would it be better to start with a block of 4140 it would probably cost a fortune but then I could harden the top. I want something in the 100lbs range. I know that some of you are thinking here we go again another bonehead trying to make an anvil but I do have the equipment to do it I just need some advice. I will probably come to my senses later but I am fixated by these dang things.

I have thought about this a bit . As I am obsessed with the same sorts of things. What you are asking is a tall order but you know that. To forge something like that you will need a power hammer in the 500 lb range or bigger. Plus fullers to form it. You will need these to form the church windows and other contours. You could cut away from a block but that could take untold hours of work to get it to the correct shape. Then hammer it allover to fake a forged look. You would be better off makeing those stakes you make taking the money and buying the anvil you want. You might be able to do it in a very large press from a block of 4140 though how many tone you would need I have no idea. I bet one could silver solder some air hardening steel as a face plate. As the solder cools it self hardens. I am truly impressed by your shop I saw on utube. I love the belt sander you made.

I was going to machine in the church windows and the contours then forge all over I thought about pressing it I do have the tonnage for that. I like the idea of silver soldering the top on I might test that out. I could put silver solder on the back of the plate then tig weld the plate to the anvil then heat the crap out of it in the forge and maybe it would sweat solder to the anvil. I would like to just forge weld it in the traditional way but that is probably a tall order.