I Forge Iron

Log Tongs

DonS

I painted the handle on my log tongs so that would not loose it in the weeds. Then someone mentioned that it looked like it had a beak, so I added eyes and teeth...later I realized that birds probably don't have teeth except in cartoons.

On a similar note, I added a bird's head to my post drill, since it already had the perfect animation.

post-97-001170800 1288047387_thumb.jpg

Glenn, some ice tongs have the same linkage, and some just have a pair of rings to put your hand through. If you have the kind with the rings, you have to squeeze the rings together to hold the ice. With standard size ice blocks, the rings can be made to be a comfortable distance apart.

The logs I pick up are a variety of diameters, so that design does not work as well because if you make it to handle smaller logs, the handles could be uncomfortably wide when carrying large logs. Also, with the linkage shown, the heavier the log, (larger diameter) the tighter it pinches into the wood, and the handle stays relatively horizontal and can be held with heavy winter gloves.

It is surprising how much pressure a 3 inch diameter piece of wood (the handle) will take. I dislike the sudden breaking and being thrown to the ground when the handle brakes. Then while you are on the ground the log is free to move and roll about as it wants, usually on top of you. If you are going to break a handle, try to do it on the pull stroke, so the log rolls away.

I have made a couple of cant hooks. Last one was from 1-1/4 inch pipe for a handle, and weld on a couple of ears for the bolt that holds the hook. It is a bit heavy but goes soft rather than the sudden release of pressure when it fails.