I Forge Iron

New from Georgia

Nuttman

Hello,
My name is Gene and I live in Georgia. I have been facinated by blacksmithing and metal working all my life. When I would go to a county fair or reenactment and there was a smithie there I would want to stand and watch for hours while he worked the metal. I am on the verge of retiring in my 50's and am thinking of getting into something I have wanted to do all my life. Make knives and tomahawks. I know it takes many years to learn this craft and you probably keep learning the rest of your life, but I think I am ready to start. I hope to learn many things on this site from you more knowledgeable pards. Thanks.
Gene

Hey Nuttman- welcome and what a name. How's things down in redroad country? That's how I remember Georgia being in the 70's passing through- lots of red clay roads, beautiful state. I too am a newbie and have always had smithing in my mind as an aspiration from an early age. I got it from grade school field trips to places like Old Fort Niagara with its Indian war and revolutionary war history here in this region and other forts like Fort Stanwyx and Fort Erie. All had blacksmith shop demonstrations and left an indelible mark. LIVING HISTORY ROCKS! To this day I can still vividly remember being in the blacksmith shop on a school field trip at Old Fort Niagara when I was in kindergarten at the age of five. I don't believe my teacher had any idea of the profound effect that had on the wee child that I was then, but it planted the seed right there and then as I was looking up on the wall where two wooden pegs in the hewn timbers supported a magnificent handmade rifle and the smiths clad in homespun pointed out how each screw was different, handmade and not interchangeable. I was FIVE and I remember that in so much detail. Shows how the iron draws us all in, if you have the calling- the rest of the class was probably thinking about fudgecicles at lunchtime or something but for me I was hooked right there. Congratulations Nuttman on your retirement! Here you will find infinite knowlege and sincere guideance from some truly talented folks. Good luck and keep on hammerin'. Dan:)