I Forge Iron

Any idea what this one is?

I've popped into a (reasonably) local ex-army surplus supplier late this afternoon to have a look at one of the anvils they have and put down a deposit. The only problem I have with the anvil, is trying to guess at the manufacturer. She's a 4cwt/220kg anvil from Woolwich Arsenal barracks down in London, and I believe she may have been used as a bladesmiths or toolsmiths anvil judging by the sheer amount of cuts and marks on the feet. The bick of the anvil, whilst in fairly good condition, is slightly offset from the rest of the anvil, and there is a pronounced casting mark about quarter way down the side.

The one in question is labelled 'A' in the photo below;38630288.jpg

To give you an idea, the two smaller anvils are 1cwt/50kg-ish, and the one marked 'D' is 2cwt/102kg-ish.

Let me see if I got my math right, A= 485#, B&C= 110# each and D= 224#, I hope that's right. Well anyway, if you bought A, D, or B I don't think you could go wrong.
Unless it has a bad ring to it, it should serve you well for the next hundred years or so, but who's keeping track of the time? B)
Just what are you going to forge on that monster? :huh:

Many large anvils were forged from several large lumps of iron. If the anvil is as old as you think, I would be willing to be that the "casting mark" on the side is actually a seam from a forge weld. Look for faint Manufacturers stampings on the side of it. The cuts on the feet of the anvil are not uncommon, some smiiths used to check the temper of a newly forged tool by striking it against the foot of the anvil. If the tool mushroomed it was too soft, and if it chipped it was too hard. I have a 780 pound Atwood anvil that's feet are covered with tooling scars. The horns on older forged anvils were commonly a little crooked or offset. Nothing to worry about. Neat anvil. Dont let it get away!

I'm planning on trading up from a 2cwt/102kg Brooks anvil. As much as I like the Brooks, it rings like a church bell, and considering how close I am to my neighbours (less than 20 yards) I really need to get something a little quieter (but bigger is also good!). I've tried many ways of deadening the sound of the Brooks, such as dropping a carriage bolt into the pritchel hole, wrapping a chain around it, mounting it on a thin layer of lead sheet, and none of it really helps.

The one above, has fairly good rebound (although not as good as the Brooks) but is large enough to keep me happy, and the surface of it is like a pool table! The photo looks as though there is no pritchel, but there is one tucked away towards the back of the anvil.

Cheers for the responses so far guys! I'll have a closer look for the makers mark when I pick it up next week.

Mick C; I was going to pay £330 for it (or $523 for our friends across the pond), as the seller didn't want a deposit in the end. I went back to have a closer look at it today, and I've noticed the following:

1) It's definately forged and not cast (just like Jose Gomez said!) as you can see the lifting holes underneath the horn and the heel on the body. Not only that, but what I originally thought was a casting mark is quite evidently a forged joint with the upper portion (including the face and the horn?) being approximately 1/6" thinner than the rest of the body.
2) For the life of me, I couldn't find a makers mark. I went over the anvil with a fine toothed comb and found that there was quite a bit of 'weld' dotted all over, where stick welders have been tested and much of this, along with the cut marks and the 2 or three paint jobs its had, have probably removed all trace. :angry:
3) There is a a hole approximately 2" in diameter towards the heel and pritchel which has been filled with weld. When I first went to see the anvil I was more interested in rebound, and the ringing and failed to remove the surface coating of rust to see this flaw, but I found it this time.

All in all, it's still a big piece of steel for the money. I'm sure many of you guys would give their right arm for something like this over in North America, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'm willing to take a gamble on it now............Something just doesn't 'feel' right.

As always, your thoughts are welcome. :D