I Forge Iron

Review: Classes with Brian Brazeal

As with many of you, I became of Brian Brazeal through iForgeIron.com. Later, I met him in person at the National Convention 2010.

Brian offers private classes at his forge in Brandon Mississippi. This is a review and endorsement, not an advertisement, so I will leave you to ask him directly for prices.

The deal was this: he would forge with me for as long as I would like each day, teaching the techniques I chose each day. I assure you, he will outlast you at the forge. I would say we averaged about 10-12 hour days. Room and board were included. Karen is an excellent cook under even the most difficult of situations. This really removed the down time, and left it pretty much forging all day, every day.

The class produced this
post-4113-075706100 1285287188_thumb.jpg

Tools:
---------
Rounding Hammer
3" fullering hammer

3" Bottom fuller
1.5" Bottom fuller
Hexagonal edge tool (for anvils with wide faces of dulled edges)
Cupping tool
3" Bottom swedge
Two tapered hot cuts
Feather tool

Six chisels
Touch mark

3" top tool
1.5" top tool
Punch top tool
Top set

Shoulder tools (for making hammer, keeps cheeks off anvil while drifting)

Drift finished
Drift unfinished

Fire poker
Fire mop

-----
Example pieces:

Bird, cattail, leaf forge welded bundle (made by Brian)
Grappling hook forge weld bundle (made by me)
Corkscrew (brian)
Mushroom (brian)
Rings (Lyle)
Feathers (Brian and Lyle)
Calalily (Brian)
Leafs (All)
Collared trivet (Doug)

-----------

For this class, I mostly focused on tool making. I struck for most of tools above, directed or worked solo on a fair amount of them. With the tools made, and the knowledge gained, I feel confident that I could make a serviceable version of any of the above tools with a novice striker. In fact, I believe I could make a serviceable version of most of the tools in his racks.

I would recommend the class to most aspiring blacksmiths. I would caution on a few things:

1.) It is hot there for a northern boy. Wait until later in the year.
2.) Two weeks straight (with a four day break in middle) is likely too physical for office dwellers like me. Consider two one week trips.
3.) Brian's rig is very mobile, he is willing to travel. Consider paying the extra to bring him to you. My next session will likely be with a power hammer at my place.
4.) Working with anyone that intensely for an extended period of time on projects that can be frustrating will wear on your nerves, and the instructor's. Be willing to walk away and to take a nap.
5.) Karen described the accommodations as "Glorified camping". It amazed me how used to that you get quickly. Did I mention she is a great cook?
6.) It was nice to have Lyle stop by in the evenings for a change of pace.

More pictures by Lyle here: CLICK HERE

post-4113-044807800 1285287259_thumb.jpg

post-4113-035608400 1285287281_thumb.jpg

post-4113-053138300 1285287649_thumb.jpg

post-4113-052682900 1285287655_thumb.jpg

post-4113-087848000 1285287661_thumb.jpg

Wow that looks like a nice group of tools, and other goodies as well. It looks like you were busy, time spent with Brian is time well spent. I was able to spend a few days down there with Brian before the Abana conference (thank you Brian and Karen) I learned many things in that time also. His straight forward approach is very effective, "Just put it between the dies" (quote from Brian) "It practically makes its self" when you work with him it seems so easy. And yes Karen is great as well, she will be sure that you get some food, Brian will just keep going, and going and going,
It sounds like you learned alot in the time you were there, thanks for sharing
also I would like to put in a plug for Lyle- great guy very helpful and knowledgeable

"Just put it between the dies" (quote from Brian) "It practically makes its self" when you work with him it seems so easy.

Yes Brian is very precise in his language. These are dies, not a hammer and anvil. The sooner you learn the language the easier the communication comes.

Other things that I really internalized.

Give credit where credit it due. If you are using someone's design, or a novel technique learned from someone, mention it. It does not take much to add a little bit to the tag or description to say "a design inspired by Brian Brazeal" If you are posting something here, let people know where you got it. For many of us, this is just a hobby. for some it is a career. For people like Brian, it is a calling/addiction/lifelong pursuit.

When I was in his shop, I realized that a lot of the things I have learned on this site were from Brian, but I forgot it (his punch shaping, the piece support on the side of the forge, the "tv tray" forging table) I am thinking of just changing my signature to: "I probably learned this from Brian." just to make sure I am covered! :)

Brian Brazeal is an amazing smith, he is like an energizer bunny! I remember one weekend we forged all day (i did alot of armchair forging!) We worked and talked about blacksmithing till around two in the morning, i had to tap out and go to sleep, i think Brian stayed up a while and kept working. Every time i visited him, i would arrive around seven in the morning or so, and he would be at the anvil working on something. Even when we stopped to eat or have a chat, he was always asking everyone what they wanted to make. You can really tell he loves his profession. If anyone is looking to learn about blacksmithing, he is a great man to learn from.