I Forge Iron

medieval blacksmiths

Hi,
I cannot remember if I have sent this link before but here goes just in case -
Die Hausbücher der Nürnberger Zwölfbrüderstiftungen
For those who have not heard of this basically in the early 1400's up to the sixteen hundereds there was in effect an old folks home just for men and for nearly three hundered years a record was made of every inmate, not only details of the person but also a full colour picture was painted of each man as he practiced his craft showing all the tools of his trade. Blacksmiths,coopers wheelwrights,furniture makers etc, each picture a wealth of details.

When you bring up the main page on the left hand side it says bucher below which is listed Mendel 1 to 3 and Landaur 1 and 2 click on any of these titles and it will bring the listed book up in small pictures, click on one of these pictures and you get a slightly larger picture with details ( unfortunately all in german)
Clck on this picture and it brings up a full size picture. On the two top corners of this page you can click here and browse through all the pages in large format. Click on datenansicht and it brings up the details for that picture.
Where you see a union jack flag and subject terms clicking here will bring up quick search pages in English.
It is a bit fiddly to start with but you soon get to grips with it - it is quick and there are hundereds of pictures.
Enjoy :D